Thursday, September 4, 2014

Reinventing the wheel Day 5

One way to find inspiration in the studio is to "Reinvent the Wheel"

Here is how I do that.  I make a watercolor sketch from a finished painting I like.  I know this is backwards but it works for me. Some times I use watercolors, sometimes I use a watercolor app.
Islands in the clouds
oil on canvas panel
11" x 14"
$95
©Maggie Ruley 2014

 
 
Islands in the Clouds was inspired by "watercolor" below
digital watercolor
©Maggie Ruley 2014

This "watercolor" is derived from the acrylic painting below

Sunset on the Gulf
acrylic on canvas
20" x 24"
$580
©Maggie Ruley


 
I have the Waterlogue app and I use it to make watercolor sketches.  The "watercolor" is the bare bones of the painting and I used it as a sketch for today's oil painting.  I can use the same sketch over and over because the finished paintings will never be the same.  There is always something I want to change on the next one.
 
To see the other paintings for today in the 30 day challenge

To see day 5 from last year click here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...